Moss – a rather serious issue and your great enemy, since it soaks up water, creates wetness and is prone to destroy your roof shingles. To avoid greater costs, react ASAP and remove the moss from your roof. DNB Construction’s team explains what you should do step-by-step to efficiently get rid of the menacing moss.
Collect the moss removal tools. Your first step is to prepare the adequate equipment and tools for the moss removal procedure. What you have to use is a ladder, garbage bag, special hose, moss-cleaner without bleach from the store, or DIY cleaner with mild bleach and detergent, water that is put in a spray bottle.
Find assistants for the moss removal procedure. Call your family members or neighbors to assist you, especially while you go up on the roof. If you are among those who are afraid of heights, some help and friendly assistance will encourage you for the next moss removal steps.
Place the ladder adequately to be secure and put a garbage bag on it for the next steps.
Mount on your roof. Carefully check the roof and mark the areas with the moss. Spray the moss with the DIY cleaner or the store-bought one. Wait for some time for the moss sprays to react. 15-20 minutes are the most optimal period.
Rinse the moss step-by-step with the low-pressure garden hose. Watch out to rinse all of the cleaners you sprayed on not to damage your roof’s shingles. If some of the moss remained, lift it carefully off the roof’s shingles by hand and put it in the garbage bag which you have already prepared.
Inspect your roof again to see if all of the moss is removed. However, if there is some of it still on the shingles, consult the professionals not to damage your roof. Pay attention not to use scrubbing, pressure washing, or harsh chemicals that will damage the shingles and create leaks.
If you doubt your ‘moss removal expertise’ and think that it is not going to be satisfactory, DNB Construction’s experienced team of roofers is ready to do the moss removal work for you. Don’t let the moss win and cause greater damage to both your roof and your wallet. Consult with us.
Once upon a time, there was a splendid roof. It was your ally against hail, storms, showers, and on icy days. However, once long fifteen years have passed, you’re compelled to change it since the unsettled weather has left detectable traces on your roof. YES, be able to invest loads, it’s inevitable. But, the roofing masters from DNB Construction LLC are ready to assist you to narrow the general roof replacement prices. This is what they would suggest:
1. Do what you can by yourself. – Obviously, you are not the professional roofer to finalize the entire roof replacement project, but, what you can surely do is to decrease entire expenses. The way is rather simple, get on the roof and collect all bits and pieces and material leftovers prior to the arrival of the roofing contractors.
2. Wisely choose the roofing material. – Knowing that each roof is a story for itself, you can conclude that the size and amount of the material, as well as its kind, are not the same for all roofs. So, think carefully about the building material before you actually purchase it, since the prices may vary significantly and be a real surprise to you and your wallet.
3. Think twice before you go for one roofing contractor. – Choose the roofing contractor who is licensed, trustworthy, and reputable. You need a reliable roofing firm whose employees are trained and experienced enough to complete your roof replacement in the given time by the assigned budget. No extra costs will surprise you the moment you opt for the knowledgeable roofing company, especially in the off-season period, the cold one, when you can even get lower prices and discounts for your project.
4. Use your homeowners’ insurance. – Just in case of an injury that isn’t created by neglect, this type of insurance can hide the roof’s harm.
Roof replacement is and has continually been a dear project. On the opposite hand, having been facilitated by skillful consultants within the roofing field can cause you to sleep calm and save your cash and time. We are DNB Construction LLC whose well-coordinated team of experienced engineers is always ready to take the action and help you.
You have always wanted to be pleased with your home’s look which is why paid tons and invested in it. However, any roofing problem which will arise can cause permanent damage not only to your roofing but also to the house’s walls and therefore the furniture inside. So, be smart and think about your roof before a problem appears. DNB Construction LLC experienced team of roofing techs prepared an inventory of basic signs which will signal you that your roof ‘suffered’ some damage.
Bad weather damaged your roofing shingles – Frequently changeable weather may be a ‘great enemy’ that commonly causes tons of injuries, especially regarded to your roof’s shingles. Strong winds, storms, hail, or hurricanes can damage roof shingles, blow them away, or crack them. Therefore always think about your roof and inspect it regularly to stay everything ‘spick and span’. If you notice damaged roofing shingles, react instantly, and solve the matter before it becomes much serious.
Chimney causes roofing problems – If you’ve got a good chimney, take care since a dam can form on your roof. Moreover, debris may frequently build up behind the dam and hold moisture. So, if you propose to put in a chimney on your roof, concentrate to possess a ‘cricket’ or ‘saddle’ built behind your chimney to direct water off the roof or around the chimney.
Blistered roofing shingles– Roofing blistering may be a frequent sort of roofing damage especially in areas with the weather when a roof gets too hot and tons of moisture accumulates in it. This incurs enormous blisters on your roofing shingles. Furthermore, moisture expansion can cause many serious consequences and severe damage. Therefore, prevent roofing blisters if you reside in areas with frequently hot weather.
Roof leaking problems – Numerous reasons can cause roof leaking which is the most tremendous problem that you simply may have with your roof. Roof leaking happens if something hits your roof, and this is often how one or several parts of your roof could also be destroyed which results in letting water inside your home. Besides, aging roofs can have leaking problems because their materials are becoming old and wiped out. As soon as roofing materials get old, consider their change before the matter gets more serious.
These signs are the primary signals of the ‘roofing problems’ that you simply may spot and prevent, not to cause much greater issues which may cost you enormous sums of cash, it’s better to urge in-tuned with professional roofers. We are DNB Construction LLC and give us a call at 301-362-7663 ASAP to instantly solve your roofing problem before it becomes more serious. We are able to help!
What really differs one roof from another? How to make your house stand out in the neighborhood? The answers are rather simple: choose carefully your roof shingles, their type, material, and color to make your house recognizable. Moreover, the best roof shingles quality will ensure the longevity of your roof. We all know that roofing works are a serious investment, so always think about the price of the installation as well. DNB Construction’s experienced professional roofers described the roof shingles’ kinds with their basic characteristics to help you go for the most suitable ones.
1. Tile shingles. They come in a couple of different shapes and lighter colors, whereas their cost is $300-$700 for a roofing square. This roofing square equals 100 square feet. If you opt for tile shingles, calculate overall installation costs between $10,000 and $14,000. With a common lifespan of around 80 years, these shingles are presented as expensive, but endurable.
2. Asphalt shingles. If you want the possibility to choose among numerous shingles’ styles, sizes, and to save money on energy bills, this type is the right choice since it complies with the energy standards. But, if you are a resident of a place with a changeable temperature, think twice. Many asphalt shingles can damage or crack in sudden temperature fluctuations. However, asphalt shingles come in 3 types:
a) Organic asphalt shingles. Firstly, made with wood chips, paper, or recycled cardboard, they were considered to be inexpensive, waterproof, and heavier than fiberglass shingles. Their lifespan was shorter and they were regarded as ‘felt mat asphalt shingles’. Nowadays, we know that they are prone to saturation and moisture. This leads to serious issues and faster degradation and cracking.
b) Fiberglass shingles. These shingles are produced from a fiberglass base mat. Apart from being layered with a special waterproof coating, they are durable, fire-resistant, affordable, and lightweight. Fiberglass shingles must be resistant to UV rays and have a long warranty.
c) Architectural vs. 3-tab. The main difference is in the installation costs. While you have to give from $3,800 to $8,000 for the architectural shingles, 3-tab shingles will cost you $2,300 to $5,300. The first ones are not made with cutouts and contain extra asphalt which gives them many curves. Additionally, architectural shingles aren’t a good choice for roofs with low slopes although they are waterproof. Compared with them, the second ones are cheaper and have certain cutouts that run along the shingle’s bottom edge which looks as if 3 different shingles are installed.
3. Wood shingles. Their price range is in between the asphalt and tile shingles since the average cost is from $400 to $700 for a square of roofing. In addition, the wood shingles installation is estimated to cost from $7,000 to $15,000. Wood shingles are environmentally friendly and energy-efficient. Also, they are durable, long-lasting to 50 years, and available in redwood and cedar. The greatest flaw is that they can easily catch fire, much more than other shingle kinds.
4. Slate shingles. They can be green, grey, red, or black. Their characteristics are the best ones when damage or water resistance is in question. In addition, slate shingles are great for winter temperatures. They are pricey, one square of roofing goes from $200 to $650, and the total installation costs may be $5,000 to $23,000. These shingles are rather expensive to repair and very heavy. Therefore, the best solution is to consult a professional roofing company to deal with slate shingles reparation.
5. Metal Shingles. They are affordable and last up to 50 years since they can be made from zinc, copper, tin, aluminum, or a low-galvanized metal. The worst thing is that they get noisy during rain or hair. Therefore, you need to pay from $100 to $1,000 for a square of roofing, and $2,000 to $15,000 for the entire installation.
Shingles add to the roof’s lasting and the house’s visual look. It’s important to opt for the most convenient ones regarding their lifespan, material, color, and price. We are DNB Construction, a professional roofing company whose employees are ready to answer all your questions and solve dilemmas. Feel free to consult us at 301-362-7663.
You are a proud owner of an exquisite house with a ravishing roof. For more than 15 years, it has been your protection against heavy rains, storms, hail, and icy weather. However, the clearly visible signs of its either minor or major defects are becoming more and more obvious. And, yes, you have started thinking about the roof replacement. The price of having a new roof above your head is not going to be small at all. The masters in the field, DNB Construction, got the idea to help you control roof replacement costs and pay for it roof less than you can imagine. Let’s go through their tips and tricks.
Work alone on your roof. Of course, you can’t replace the roof by yourself, but you can get on the roof and remove roof parts before the roofing contractor arrives. Arrange and dispose of the old roofing material you collected on the roof. In case you are not afraid of height and have a stomach to begin with the roof replacement before the expert’s visit, this will for sure decrease entire expenses.
Carefully choose the roofing material. All roofs are not the same. First of all, their sizes may vary as well as the materials you go for. Bigger roofs will need a greater amount of material and unquestionably incur more costs. When picking roofing material you have to take into consideration shingles, protective coatings, underlayment, flashing, and drip edge. The cheapest are asphalt shingles, whereas high-end products are tile, metal, and slate ones. Additionally, the industry development and modern times have brought on the market numerous kinds of all other above mentioned roof constructing materials, so be precautious when you purchase them since the price range may surprise you. Bear in mind that 100 square feet of the roofing material equal one so-called ‘roofing square’.
Think twice about the professional roofing company. Not all roofing companies are trustworthy and certified. Search for those that are the most reliable according to their reputation and reviews. Your choice may vary the prices of the roof replacement to go up and down. Since the old roof has to be stripped off and the new one installed, this demands the roofers who really know their job and have adequate experience.
Use the homeowners’ insurance. This type of insurance is going to cover roof damage that is not made by neglect. For instance, in case of broken or loose shingles because of the storm or downpour, the insurer will have to finance the replacement works partially or in total.
Be wise when you opt for the time to have the roof replaced. Roof replacement is not a cheap activity at all. It may be rather costly during the in-season period which is from spring to fall. From 40%-50% of the entire roof replacement costs go on the workers. However, if you contact a professional roofing company in the off-season time, from winter to fall, you may get lower prices and some discounts. Moreover, your roof will be replaced faster because more workers will be on the team as they do not have a lot of other projects to work on.
It’s not easy at all to dip into your savings and start a complex and pricy process as a roof replacement may be. The real thing would be to get in touch with the roofing experts who can relieve your worries. We are DNB Construction, a certified roofing company ready to give you a helping hand, contact us at 301-362-7663.
Ponding typically occurs after heavy rains and storms as well as when snow melts. Furthermore, it is common mostly in flat roofing systems. Although no roofing is designed to hold water, flat roofs tend to be more vulnerable because they only have a slight slope for draining water.